Hey Cloggers,

Back with another blog and today I’m talking about our visit to George Jay Elementary (which is also a French Immersion school).

As a class, we visited Rebecca Bathhursthunt’s kindergarten class – except after hours because 30 adults in a kindie class would be quite overwhelming…

Rebecca introduced us to the idea of inquiry based learning at the primary level. I always saw inquiry as a way to engage middle school students (it just seemed unreasonable to have 20 primary students all working on different assignments before they can even read or write). However, I was super surprised as to how well she implemented the inquiry style into her classroom.

She focuses on guided inquiry where the teacher controls a lot of the learning that occurs. Using picture books for students to research as well as finding a topic that students are interested in are two strategies she uses.

Finally, Rebecca talked about her education heart. This is a concept I have never really heard but one that I love. I would really like to create an educator heart and perhaps use the new fonts that I have learned in my free inquiry to help make it look pretty!

Here are some pictures of Rebecca’s classroom!

Clogging off for now,

COordt 🙂